Apr 5, 2012

RUM CASK SCOTTISH ALE status: GONE

Inspiration
Innis and Gunn?  That's at least the idea I had when creating this masterpiece in my head!  I love oak.  I love rum.  I love spiced rum.  I love beer.... you get the idea.

When I was brewing the dopplebock, I had the idea to continue sparging my grain slowly in anticipation I would collect more volume than needed for the bock.  I was correct.  I used the richest of the wort runnings for the dopplebock but continued to collect about 1.5-2 gallons of a weaker gravity bock wort.  I knew this wort would still have some sweetness and toasted caramel notes, but needed more strength.  I had a package of unused light DME (dry malt extract) normally reserved for extract brewers or in my case: making yeast starters.  This was some higher quality muntons extract that I thought would be perfect for the stove-top batch I was in the midst of creation.  I ended up with about 3-4 gallons total, bittered with goldings, and fermented in porous plastic for a month then transferred to glass with spiced rum soaked american oak chips.  I chose the golden standard of spiced rum: captain morgans since it contains such a high ratio of vanilla flavors which is native to oak character.  This choice should  support the Innis and Gunn character I am looking for.


But wait Kurt!  What yeast did I use you ask?  Well, the same harvest of second generation scottish ale yeast that I originally collected from the Malt Monster!  The other half of the second generation scottish ale yeast was used on the Kona Oatmeal stout... remember?  Talk about saving money while improving my beer batman!

The beer will be on tap soon sitting between 5-5.5% and should contain a toasted oaky malty sweet vanilla character ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment